Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Mont Saint Michel! Encore!

The school weeks have been going by pretty fast despite how long they are. I talk with everyone in my class and my French is improving very quickly. I am reading a 300 page book called L'egume des jours and I also wrote a page about why I chose to be an exchange student for my French class. I don't do a lot of my homework and stuff yet because it is pretty difficult and there is a lot of writing with it. Also school for me is not super important here for me, my main goal right now is to understand everything and to make friends. Though I do the homework when I have time. (My mom is probably not happy about that but its true) :)
This school week was kind of interesting though. Monday I was still sick and it was actually a lot worse, I would blink and next thing I know my eyes are shut and I am almost sleeping. I could not focus and felt really bad. I was so sick I ended up coming home and sleeping for the whole 2 hours of lunch. I ended up getting back to school at the bell, hurried up the steps, even though I was still sick, and arrived in my class to strange looks. Maybe because I had been sick all day and now I had a panicked, out of breath, I just woke up kind of look to my face? Yah that is probably it.
Tuesday there was a strike in a lot of schools in France, this is the first year in over 20 years for teachers at my school to strike but for the rest of the schools it happens almost every year. I think I heard they want smaller class sizes? Having the day off was so nice, it was a beautiful day something like 80* F or 30 * C and I ended up going out with my host sister and her friends to the park where we sat and talked for a few hours. Now the rest of the school week was really normal BUT the weekend was amazing.


So to talk about the weekend. I went to Mount Saint Michel again but this time with about 150 other exchange students. It was awesome. We walked on the sand surrounding the abbey and walked on what they call moving sand, which is pretty much just quick sand. If you run over it you are safe but if you were to stop while on it well you might die. No joke. So many times they were like you must listen this is dangerous you could die if you don't listen and no one would be quiet and I would be silently freaking out because I did not catch what she said. Also sometimes we would do something like try to sink into the sand and someone would come up to us and be like, "The tour guide told us not to sink very deep because you could get stuck and die" and we would already be up to our knees in the sand. The walk was long but it was a lot of fun. After we got back we took some pictures and then headed into the resturant to eat. I was thinking "oh thats weird we must be eating early!" Since we went into the dining hall at 6 pm when most of the time we dont eat until 8 or 9 pm. Well we sat around listened to a man tell us how alchol is forbidden and at the same time we are drinking alcholic cider. Cider here is not considered alchol but it has alchol in it, not a lot, less than beer but still. Then after he was done we watched some traditional Breton dancing and even got to try our hand at it! It was very intresting. That went on for about 3 hours or so and by the time we actually got the food out it was 9:30. Oh it was buffet style so I did not eat until about 10 pm but it was fine because the waiters kept coming around with bread, which I must have had 15 pieces. After the meal every country sung their national anthem, it was suprising to see how many people did not know there national anthem, in some countries its just not an important song. After this we had desert and then we had a dance until 2:30 in the morning. That night I didn't actually go to bed until about 4 in the morning and we had to be up for a 7:30 breakfast. We were all so tired all we wanted to do was sleep but we were kicked out of our rooms so there was no chance to sleep after breakfast. So I ended up going to Saint Michel and exploring. We went as far as we could up before you had to pay and ended up just sitting around talking to other students. It was fun but it would have been better if we had more sleep. Once we got back at 12 we ate lunch and then waited for our rides to pick us up. While waiting for our rides we were dancing to Mc Creu and got some strange strange looks from people, but who cares were foreign right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment