Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In the last 5 days...

Friday for half of the school day we ended up going to a small town, having a "picnic" in a gym with a sort of talent show, then taking a walk through farm land and apple orchads and to a spot overlooking the sea. It was really beautiful and the weather was perfect for it. We ended up just sitting and talking in this field for a long time and then went back to school. It was really nice to not be in class though.Friday night I went to a soiree with my host sister which was a lot of fun and I ended up talking to everyone. We had pizza and cake because this week has two of my host sisters friends birthdays! We danced and sung to English songs, it was a good time. Saturday Sarah and I went to St. Malo with my host dad for the tennis tournment. Saturday was beautiful out and we ended up watching the semi finals of the singles and the finals of the doubles matchs. The Open GDF Suez de Bretagne is a pretty big competition with 100,000 Euros prize money. Nice right?

Anyways that night I slept at Sarahs house and in the morning we got up at 6 in the morning to get on a bus to go with the Rotary of Dinan to a Monastery for the morning which was very pretty but ended up being a bit long for my liking, especially since it was all Latin and French. For lunch we went to a resturant and we were served quiche with mushrooms on the side I ended up eating it all and about 5 pieces of bread because I was still hungry and then they brought out the main dish. I did not know there was a main dish so I was almost full by the time this came out. This consisted of a huge piece of ham, potatoes, more mushrooms, and a steamed carrot. It was all good but I was so full I ended up eating only about half of it.
Then it was time for dessert, this I will show you a photo of because it was so good and so hard to describe. The bottom was a fruity sort of thing and the thing on top tasted like caramel and the sauce tasted like creamy melted caramel icecream. It was so good.




 After lunch we hopped back on the bus and drove furthur to some Ruins of the Romans. Since France is a lot smaller in land size than the USA people would just build houses on top of the ruins not thinking they were anything special so this Roman town is now partly a new town but with ruins scattered around. For example, in the middle of the town we went inside this newer looking church and they ended up having half of the floor taken out and it is now a place for tourists because their is an old roman "wash room"  
Inside the museum
under this church. We saw one of those really cool ampatheaters that the romans use to watch people being killed in for fun. It was pretty intresting. My next host sister which is Sarahs host sister right now, Marina, likes photography also so I let her borrow my camera and she ended up getting some really cute pictures of Sarah and I! It was nice to actually get to be IN the pictures this time! The only down side of this trip was that I ended up having a terrible cold show up and so I did not feel the best but I tried to not let it stop me.
Monday was rough, I ended up going to school but I was very sick. I would blink and next thing I knew I was drifting asleep. At one point in the day, I was so cold I had my sweatshirt and jacket on and I wished I would have brought more clothes and then the next moment I was taking it all off and using it as a pillow. I was tired so I ended up going home at lunch and sleeping the whole 2 hours of lunch. I ended up eating a quick something and hurrying back to school. When I got to school the bell had already rung and I was late for class so then I had to hurry up the stairs which only got me lightheaded. But by the end of the day I was feeling better.
Tuesday was awesome. Sometimes I really like the French school system better. If your teacher is not their you don't have class. So if your teachers go on strike for smaller classes, you also don't have classes! To bad they did not choose to strike every Friday right?! So I ended up going out with my host sister and hung out with her friends for the afternoon in the park.

The weather started getting cold here but now it has warmed up to 80 degrees! It is suppose to get to 90 something in Rennes this weekend. Summer is finally in Bretagne! Oh and only two months of snow, which I am in a way looking forward to because last year in those 2 months school was canceled 5 or 6 times because of the snow. A lot of people from my school travel by bus a long ways to get to school because my school is a pretty well known private school and so if it is snowing the buses apperently can't drive. That is kind of humerous saying because where I am from it snows a ton and school is only canceled if it is either really really cold or a lot of snow falls and the snow plows don't have time to clear the roads.
So this is funny let me translate:
The tennis player in a white skirt is like a cricket in a kilt but better.
Marinas photos
Thanks Marina!
The kids table

Amphitheater ruins




No comments:

Post a Comment