Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rotary dinner

Last night, Tuesday night, Sarah and I were invited to a rotary dinner with our host sisters. It was a bit scary walking into the dinner because I did not know anyone except Sarah and my French was the worst of anyone in the whole room. Before going in to the dinner and all throught the dinner I had to keep reminding myself to not use "Salut=Hi" or "Tu=The informal way of saying you" since tu and salut is what I use normally with people my age and with people I know such as my host family. Everything with speaking turned out fine for me and the people were very nice. I understood most everyone and if I did not understand something I would just shake my head and it worked every time.
The meal was a bit confusing for someone who is not very food educated. I had 2 forks, 2 knifes, a spoon, and 3 glasses. We started with a fish and potato dish, then had rice and something that remind me of stir fry, then we had a lemon marangue personal petite pie for dessert, and we finished with an expresso. I have never really tried an expresso so I decided to take one, I tasted it and did not like it and then I put sugar in it and still did not like it. So I stopped drinking it and now I consider that 2 of the 3 times I have to try that. Since I tried it with and without sugar. If your not familiar with rotary they have a rule that you must taste everything 3 times before you say you don't like it, so expresso is 2 tries down and one to go!
It ended up being a very nice evening, I got to see my first host family again and I even got to meet my 3rd host mom! She is Scotish so she speaks very good English but she can also speak French so it was a strange mix between us speaking French and English. The meeting started at 8 pm and did not get done until close to 11 pm so once I got home I went to bed since I had school at 8 the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment