Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The City of Love-Paris

Okay so the title kind of gives it away but I finally got to Paris! My host family is friends with a person in a small band out of Rennes and the band has wanted to play at this place in Paris for a while and finally got a spot. The concert was a competition, like battle of the bands so the band decided to have a bus of fans go along and watch the concert and cheer for them, since every other band was Parisian and had that as an advantage.
Notre Dame
Well it is the city of love?
My host mom, Hortense and some of her friends, and I got up and drove to Rennes at 7 in the morning. We got on the bus and had a 6 hour ride to Paris. We got into Paris at one in the afternoon. We had about 5 or 6 hours to do our own thing before the concert started so my host mom and I decided to walk from the spot the bus dropped us off to whatever was closest. We walked to the Seine River, onto "bridge 9", the oldest bridge in Paris, then on a path along the river when we walked up the path and back onto the road I saw the Notre Dame Cathedral right in front of me. That was so cool there were so many different languages being spoken there, there were people taking pictures in dog suits, and a huge line of people wanting to go in. I skipped going inside because of the huge line but it was very pretty.
Host mom and Starbucks
When we crossed the Seine the second time we went on a bridge filled with locks. I have seen pictures of this bridge before with people getting married on it but I never understood what the locks represented but when you look closer at the locks they all say names of couples. Next we went to the museum of modern art where many people were just sitting as if it was a park and not cement. People were playing music all over and others were painting. After we walked up a road and there it was STARBUCKS! :) I have not had Starbucks since before I left and I was craving it! I ended up indulging though it was okay because that night for supper all I ate were some cookies, at 2 in the morning on the bus. Anyways, after Starbucks we walked through a very nice area of Paris, went into a famous tea shop which smelled so good and then went shopping and yes I did buy two little things for myself. Then it was time to go to the concert. We went to a club where a whole bunch of kids were standing around waiting to go in. While we were standing around my host mom pointed to a sign and said gay club. Yes I was in a gay, UNDEGROUND, night club but that night all the gays were somewhere else since this was kind of a kids concert. The music was usually good and there was some bands that I liked that played some cool "African" music. The band from Rennes was good too actually they were so good they came back with a second place! We ended up not getting back on the bus until midnight and when I finally got in my bed it was 7 in the morning. I slept until 11 am and then got up for the weekend.
Well this night was definatly a night for the record books, I saw Paris for the first time and then ended up going to a gay, underground, night club to watch a band from Rennes sing. How many people can say that they were in a gay night club in Paris?! Haha. Anyways, I am going back to Paris atleast two more times so it did not really matter that I did not get to the Effile Tour or the Louvre because I will be getting to everything else later this year.

Yes those are all locks.
This reminded me so much of my trip to New York.


On "pont neuf" - oldest bridge in Paris

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a lot of fun in Paris, Cassandra. I know that they do the locks thing in Korea also, even at strange places like bus terminals. I was told that the members of the couple lock it, and then throw away the key. I would guess that the people on the bridge probably throw their keys into the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - this is the first time I think I have seen a picture of Mrs. Berthoux! The picture of the little girl with the pigeons reminds me of you when we were in NYC too! I love your updates - keep them coming! -Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete